If you want to delete an ArcGIS Server machine from your site, you can do so in ArcGIS Server Manager or in ArcMap.
Before you delete an ArcGIS Server machine from a site, consider the following:
If a Web Adaptor is registered with a site, it may take some time for the Web Adaptor to recognize that a machine has been deleted. By default, the Web Adaptor checks every minute to see if machines have been added or deleted from the site. For example, depending on when you delete a machine, the Web Adaptor will not recognize the deleted machine until the next time it checks the site. During this interval, requests will still be forwarded to the deleted machine. This may cause requests to fail and events to be written to the server logs.
To alleviate this potential issue, you can force the Web Adaptor to recognize the deleted machine by reconfiguring the Web Adaptor. See Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor after installation for full instructions.
If you delete the machine that is currently hosting ArcGIS Server Manager, you'll be logged out of Manager and returned to a page where you have the option to create a site or join an existing site. To log back in to Manager, you'll need to enter the Manager URL to one of the other machines in your site. For more information, see Log in to Manager.
If you only have one ArcGIS Server machine in the site and you delete it, the site is also deleted and you are returned to a page where you'll be asked whether you want to create a site or join an existing site. Keep in mind that your existing services and settings are preserved in the configuration store. If you want to re-create the site on another machine, reference the existing configuration store when creating the site.
Delete a machine from a site in Manager
To delete a machine from a site in Manager, complete the following steps:
- Start Manager and log in.
If you need help with this step, see Log in to Manager.
- Click Site > GIS Server > Machines.
- In the Machines module, locate the machine you want to remove and click Delete .
- On the confirmation dialog box that appears, review the information and click Yes.
Your machine is deleted from the site. If you deleted a machine that was hosting ArcGIS Server Manager, you are logged out of Manager and returned to a page where you have the option to create a site or join an existing site.
Delete a machine from a site in ArcMap
To delete a machine from a site in ArcMap, complete the following steps:
- In the Catalog tree, expand the GIS Servers node.
- Double-click Add ArcGIS Server and establish an Administer GIS server connection to the server. See the topic Connect to ArcGIS Server from ArcGIS Desktop for instructions on how to connect. If you have an administrative connection set up, you can skip this step.
Do not connect to the machine you want to delete. Instead, connect to the site through another machine or use ArcGIS Server Manager.
- In the Catalog tree, right-click your server connection and choose Server Properties.
- Click the Machines tab on the ArcGIS Server Properties dialog box.
- Select the machine you want to delete and click Remove.
The machine is deleted from the site.
- Click OK to close the ArcGIS Server Properties dialog box.