The version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor must always match the version of Portal for ArcGIS you're using.
ArcGIS Web Adaptor can be installed side by side with other versions. You are not required to uninstall ArcGIS Web Adaptor to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor, and ArcGIS Web Adaptor is not an upgrade of previous releases.
Each ArcGIS Web Adaptor must have its own unique name; you cannot have two Web Adaptors with the same name on a single web server. If a naming conflict is detected during the installation, a warning message is displayed. You must uninstall the earlier version with the same name to resolve the conflict. Alternatively, you can change the name of one of the Web Adaptors to proceed with the installation.
ArcGIS Web Adaptor and Tomcat do not need to be installed on the same machine if you will configure the Web Adaptor with the portal through your browser. However, if you will configure the Web Adaptor using the configurewebadaptor.exe tool, the Web Adaptor and Tomcat must be installed on the same machine.
Upgrade an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor
To upgrade an earlier version of ArcGIS Web Adaptor to 10.8.1, you must uninstall the earlier version, and install the 10.8.1 setup. During the 10.8.1 installation, you'll specify the same name as your earlier Web Adaptor. This guarantees your Web Adaptor URL will remain identical to the earlier version.
If a naming conflict is detected during the 10.8.1 installation, a warning message is displayed. You must uninstall the earlier version with the same name to perform the upgrade.
After installing 10.8.1, you must configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS.
At 10.2 and earlier versions, running the setup upgraded all existing Web Adaptors to the latest version.
Before installing ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Verify that your system meets all system requirements. You can only configure one Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS.
- Log in as a user with administrative privileges.
- Verify that you have a website running on port 80 and HTTPS is enabled on port 443. This is to accommodate the variety of encrypted and unencrypted calls made to Portal for ArcGIS. For more information about setting up and using HTTPS, see Enable HTTPS on your web server.
The use of the default HTTPS port 443 is appropriate for the vast majority of users. In some rare cases, an ArcGIS Web Adaptor instance cannot use port 443 on its web server for organization-specific reasons. If this applies to your organization, see Use nondefault ports for the portal's ArcGIS Web Adaptor, which details additional steps to configure a workaround.
- Browse to the downloaded folder containing the ArcGIS Web Adaptor setup. You can also insert the Portal for ArcGIS media into the appropriate drive to automatically start the setup.
You are now ready to proceed with the Web Adaptor installation.
How to install ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Review the master agreement and accept it if you agree. Click Next to continue with the installation.
- Click Change to specify the installation folder or Next to accept the default location.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- Click Finish to close the wizard.
- Browse to the ArcGIS Web Adaptor installation folder. Deploy the arcgis.war file to your Java application server on a website running on port 80. For instructions on how to deploy a .war file, refer to the documentation for your Java application server.
- Connect ArcGIS Web Adaptor with Portal for ArcGIS by completing the steps in Configuring ArcGIS Web Adaptor.
After installation, ArcGIS Web Adaptor will display in the language specified by your Java application server. To change the language, consult the product documentation for your Java application server.